Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDGarcia

Review Hunt 2011

1. 1.

*** 2011 REVIEW HUNT IS OVER! ***

The winners of the 2011 Review Hunt are:

Nerys Ghemor (Gold), Gul Rejal (Silver), and jespah (Bronze)!

I have officially declared the 2011 Review Hunt to have begun!

THE MISSION

"Ad Astra, the final frontier.

These are the continuing voyages of the Starship Reader.

Her ongoing mission: to visit strange new worlds,

to seek out new prose and new poetry,

to boldly go where no reviewer has gone before..."

THE RULES

0.) ALL ENTRANTS MUST HAVE A FORUMS ACCOUNT.  NO EXCEPTIONS!

1.) Points will be assigned in the following manner:

a.) Base points are awarded equal to word count  (ie: A review of 101 words earns 101 base points)

b.) Bonus points - In order to improve feedback quality over quantity, bonus points were added.  Here's the scale:

1-150  +0

151-300  +10

301-450  +20

451-600  +30

601-750  +40

750+      +50

c.) On this specific review hunt (which was to review unreviewed or one-review stories), additional bonus points were added on top of the constant scale above.

First review on stories: +50

Second review on stories: +25

Third review on stories: +10

Fourth review and beyond: +0

2.) Reviews must be entered into the archive between 12:01am September 6, 2011 and 11:59pm on December 31, 2011 (all times Pacific [GMT -8]).  This provides you with ample time to hunt and ample time for writers to post new stories. 

3.) Ad Astra administrators and moderators are not eligible to participate, as they will be scoring each review.

4.) In order for each review to qualify, it MUST be posted with a link to the review page in the Review Hunt board under Fic Talk.  You can either post one review or a whole list of reviews, it doesn't matter.  If it's not in that board for us to see, you won't get scored for it.

5.) Not a rule, more of a suggestion: Try branching outside of your comfort zone or comfort 'series.'  You might be surprised by what you find.

6.) Winners will be announced on January 15, 2012.  Medals and prizes to be awarded shortly thereafter.

THE PRIZES

While Steff and Teddog would give out fanart as a means to provide incentive, both are pretty busy and I don't wish to burden them without their consent.  Therefore, this year's review hunt will be awarding a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal bar to our winners of this year's review hunt, and issuing gift card prizes in decreasing amounts.  The gift cards will be redeemable at an as-yet-announced online store (possibly Amazon, possibly Thinkgeek, this hasn't been determined, yet).

------

Questions can be posted in response to this announcement.

Good luck, and good hunting!

MDg

So, we post stories we wish to be reviewed on this thread? Or do we just go out and write reviews?

I've created a thread for where authors can give a shout out to one of the their un-reviewed or only in receipt of one review stories in the Review Hunt board. But the main point is YES - just go out and write reviews! What goes around will often come around after all.

BTW, it looks like you can get credit--though less credit--for reviewing stories that have more reviews.  But the ones that net you the most points are the new stories or the ones with few reviews.  At least, if I'm reading the rules correctly.

Yes.  This is so.  Actually, I think the easiest way to think of it is that you earn points for reviews ... the longer/more in depth the review, the more points you earn.  Being the first, second, or third to review a story gets you additional *bonus* points.  (It's good incentive to review the unknown.  ;) )

A quick update on the Review Hunt.

We haven't forgotten about this, but the scoring did get dropped due to an unfortunate flare-up in personal lives of those of us who were keeping track.  Due to the high number of reviews over the course of three months, this might take us quite a while to determine the winners and placements.  I'm trying to see if I can get Miranda Fave and Steff to lend a hand at doing word counts and totals.

Thanks for your patience.

MDg

And for our winners...!

Do with as you please.  Feel free to display them on your forum signature, any website you might have or just keep them to stroke them lovingly saying, "My precious..."  ::grins::  You more than earned them, and congratulations again!  If you need a resized or button version for any reason, please let me know.