Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MDGarcia

For those having issues getting to the site...

I came back from vacation today to find a number of tickets opens about some inability to reach the site since the name services changed over.  In short, let me be blunt:

I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

Since my host is broadcasting the new record, it's up to the individual ISP name servers to request and grab the new information.  The best way to illustrate this is that if my host wasn't broadcasting, no one would be able to get to the site.  It's that simple.  I have absolutely no control over your ISP's services.  This brings me back to my bolded text: There's nothing I can do.  Sorry.

The only thing you can do is wait for your name servers to pull the record.

MDg

That does suck. I don't understand it at all. Usually if I can't get a website I'll just google it. But that's how technic I get. If google or Wiki can't fix or explain it then I'm off to make a fire with kindling and two rocks. So excuse me for being a little thick Mike, does that mean the situation will rectify itself in time for those experiencing diffs?

Exactly.  If the situation does not spontaneously resolve, what is the timetable for initiating other steps?  Permanent "wait-and-see" does not make sense when several people, presumably in multiple countries with multiple ISP's, are affected.  Having a plan in place and informing people--even if the plan means that a support ticket has to be sent to someone else after a certain deadline is passed, and that we will be relying on waiting for that other entity to answer--is far preferable to being left in the dark with no sense if there is even going to be an attempt to investigate.

I went on vacation and when I got back I couldn't access the site.  What I kept getting was that DNS Advantage couldn't find the domain or something like that.  I couldn't access it from my laptop, IMac, or IPad, but I could with my Iphone.  I then got on Google and switched to Open DNS which is free, and that seems to have solved the problem for me.  It took a little longer to get my laptop going since it is Windows and I couldn't find detailed enough instructions on how to make the change. 

I honestly couldn't tell you if it will resolve, because I don't control the local name cache nor the name servers used by ISPs. 

For the uninitiated, this is a basic basic overview of how name services work:

1) AdAstraFanfic.com is requested from an ISP's name services (this is usually pushed by your browser).

2) Slicehost's name servers (mine) field the request and reply with the record.

3) Now armed with the new information, the ISP from Step 1 serves the data to the browser and you see the site.

The name servers that I control are broadcasting and serving data.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

I have ZERO control over others' ISPs, because a) I don't work for them and b) to even attempt to do so would violate laws.  When I said there's nothing I can do, I wasn't kidding around.  My server is showing the data is available, I've tested it from 15 different locations and all were in the green (working).  If someone's ISP's name server isn't getting the record, it's not because there's a breakdown on my end.  They either need to clear their local cache to push a request to grab a new record, or escalate to their ISP for further assistance.

MDg

You mean ... it isn't all mice turning wheels and wizards! This internet thing is crazy! Totally get that there is little you cna do about it Mike. Just pressed you to see if time would fix the issue. Sucks on that.

They either need to clear their local cache to push a request to grab a new record, or escalate to their ISP for further assistance.

If it ain't too cheeky or impertinent of me to ask Mike, but hey I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyway, even with the likelihood it will make me seem stupid, but:

How does one clear their local cache to push a request to grab a new record?

Mike, just so you know I did contact my ISP and they were no help at all.  When I realized I could access the site from the Iphone I knew it wasn't the site and I don't fault you at all.  It took a little ingenuity to get back here, and I wouldn't be typing this now if I hadn't.  Plus, I learned something in the process so that's always a good thing :).  I do not blame you at all for the issues because of what I learned going though this.

Ok, people. If changing your DNS doesn't work (I use OpenDNS and it didn't work, I tried Google DNS and it didn't work, I tried some public Australian DNS and it didn't work), if flushing cache doesn't work (I did that too), here's what you can try to do if you are a Linux user:

Edit your /etc/host file (as root) and add these two lines:

173.45.240.13 www.adastrafanfic.com

173.45.240.13 forums.adastrafanfic.com forums

Remember to leave an empty line at the end of the file!!

This manually directs your browsers to the correct IP addresses of the archive and the forum.

I don't know if something like that can be done on Windows, but I hope someone knows and would be able to people know.

I thought I had to jump through some hoops.  Once I figured out what to do, and getting some detailed instructions it was easy to make the change on my Apple products.  With my laptop I changed the DNS settings, and then that didn't work at first so I shut down the computer.  I turned it on a little later and then the site finally came up with no issues.  I was going to be so sad if it didn't work.