SLWalker

Ad Astra Suggestions

How about making COPACABANNA the offical song of this site? Just kidding...hmmmmm...suggestions....How about another  'outer space scene' at the top to brighten up the place???

Rob

:P  If you had any idea how long it took me to make these site themes match and work...

Nah, I like the theme.  It's pretty, sedate and doesn't distract from the writing, which is the most important thing.

The themes are great...good job..just another planet to let us know we are in 'another place'....if not..that's cool too...

Rob

This was a creative commons image.  LOL!  Let it sit for at least a handful more months, okay?  Because I can't make myself go and create a whole new theme this soon after the PHP/CSS it took to make these forums and that site match up.

Everyone sees the header, first. :)  First rule of web development.  Everyone goes top-down.

MDg

Ha!  Tough.  If people want a whole site-wide completely different theme before the 1 year anniversary, they can code it themselves, and I get final approval. :-P 

The problem with Hotmail is that it's actually public enemy number one when it comes to spammers. :/  Most proxies will deny hotmail addresses.

MDg

If there's going to be an anti-Hotmail rule, then with all due respect that should be made clear up front.  Also, I don't see why that would affect e-mails going the other direction (from the site TO my address), which is the problem I'm encountering.

If there's going to be an anti-Hotmail rule, then with all due respect that should be made clear up front.  Also, I don't see why that would affect e-mails going the other direction (from the site TO my address), which is the problem I'm encountering.

There's no anti-Hotmail rule.  While we control a whole lot of things on this site, we cannot control the way the companies that own the connections of the internet filter things out.  We didn't make any rules.  We didn't bar any domains.  Unfortunately, due to Hotmail's huge use by spammers, the big name companies are the ones who often block any and all e-mail from or to those addresses.  We're end-users -- your connection to this site (and vice versa) has to go through a whole bunch of connection points.  When it comes to such a thing as Hotmail, I'm venturing that anywhere along the line it could be filtered out.

As for why, exactly, you haven't gotten any e-mails through from this site, that I'm not sure of.  That's all Mike's area -- he's the tech guy.  But I will say that no one here has instituted any special rules against the Hotmail e-mail addresses.

ETA: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-232706.html

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/0,39044229,20098527,00.htm

It may not be on our end.

I sent this as a pm to Steff but putting it out where all can see for feedback purposes:

We have a "Featured Story" spot on the home page-how about a "Featured Author" section as well?

Interviews might be fun.  Adding blocks to the main archive page is a bit of a hairy prospect, but now that we have forums, we can maybe use these to run featured-author interviews/promotions.

What about a strand/poll here for challenge voting?

And is it possible to add a tag to a submitted challenge indicating it is a challenge so it can be searched for as such on the archive.

Only manually, I think.  Remember that the forums and archive are actually separate bodies (mostly for upgrade and security purposes).  What do you mean about a tag for a submitted challenge, though?

And I did want to add a thread/poll here for challenge voting, but since not everyone who's on the archive has joined the forums yet, I didn't want to potentially miss any votes.  Next time around, though, I'll probably go with the poll -- right now, I just keep track of them wherever they're sent to me.

What about a strand/poll here for challenge voting?

And is it possible to add a tag to a submitted challenge indicating it is a challenge so it can be searched for as such on the archive.

Only manually, I think.  Remember that the forums and archive are actually separate bodies (mostly for upgrade and security purposes).  What do you mean about a tag for a submitted challenge, though?

And I did want to add a thread/poll here for challenge voting, but since not everyone who's on the archive has joined the forums yet, I didn't want to potentially miss any votes.  Next time around, though, I'll probably go with the poll -- right now, I just keep track of them wherever they're sent to me.

Even if someone goofs and sends it to the White House? ;D :D;)

TOS Update

Given that Ad Astra's founded on interaction and we're not going to become FF.N, some accounts are up for deletion come May 1st -- not many, less than ten.  These are accounts that are either utterly inactive (no stories or reviews), or accounts that have a small number stories and/or reviews but have not been updated since February.  Naturally, since real life can get in the way of everything, all an account-holder has to do to keep theirs is drop us a note letting us know that they're too busy to participate now, and we'll tack on a month to the next round of clean-up.

One of the reasons why I've decided to delete some accounts that have been inactive but have stories is rather important: As stated in the TOS for this site from day one, people posting here expecting to get feedback without giving anything back to the community (reviews, interaction, etc.) won't last long.  Now I've clarified what I meant.

An account holder in good standing (someone who's been a good active participant in some facet of the community) will never have to worry about this, even if they disappear right off the map for a decade.  This is only for those who have put forth a very minimal effort.

All people whose accounts are on the potential chopping block May 1st have been sent an e-mail explaining things, and (as I said) since real life comes first, they're absolutely welcome to hold onto their accounts with a quick note that they've been busy with other obligations.  This is only to cut away dead-weight, as it were, not to punish people who have just been too busy.  And no one whose account is deleted is barred from coming back when they do have more time.

Any questions about this policy change here, go ahead and ask.

Steff, I was wondering, can we have Pike and N1 added to the list of TOS characters? If it's not too much trouble of course. Because you know I love Corry dearly, but I think Chris Pike has no lesser right to be on that list. ;)

Chris Pike and Number One don't have any stories uploaded aside yours. :P  Check it out:

6.) Under the Characters heading of your story/series, major canon characters will be available. Please only list the 'stars' of your story, however. For an ensemble cast (four or more), use the 'Ensemble' tag. Original characters and canon guest stars can have their own listing if there are no less than two stories where they play a serious role. When you have two, just let the administration know and they'll be added.

Don't get me wrong, I love them too.  But they aren't, despite me wishing otherwise, major canon characters.  When there are two stories on the archive, then they get a tag.