SLWalker

Ad Astra Suggestions

Actually, you want to leave the word 'paid,' 'pay,' 'payment,' 'purchase,' 'selling,' 'sell,' 'sale,' or variations thereof off the site.  Mostly because it will trigger the keyword searches used by the copyright holders when they search our site.  And I know someone who works on contract for those copyright holders who do search sites like ours and how they do it.

MDg

Add something on the archive that says something like.  "Please browse our archive.....Don't forget to leave a review.  That's how fanfiction writers get paid."

Have a look at our stats.  Ad Astra has, by far, one of the healthiest review-to-story ratios of any archive in the entirety of fandom.  If you're struggling to gain feedback, one of the best ways to promote reading of your stories is to actually go read and review others.

No.  I will not be adding a line like that.  Here are the submission guidelines:

Ad Astra strongly encourages interactivity in the form of both writing, and in reading and reviewing. Chances are, if you come to this site expecting to just reap the rewards without giving back in any manner, you're not going to last long.

It's worked quite beautifully so far.

Just noticed the Ad Astra Home thing.  Thanks!!! :)

Huh? What thing? I'm confused ... have I not noticed it or have I noticed it all along? MF - muddled-foughts ;)

As to the review thing, as Steff says, its in the submission guidelines and as even the forum demonstrates it is a large part of the ethos of the site. It is a very supportive and positive site and I don't think we need to push it. Sometimes it just takes time to garner interest and as others say, get out and review. It might not get you reviews in return, but it helps to make someone else's day and you get to read some terrific works to boot.

My two pennies for what it's worth.

Just noticed the Ad Astra Home thing.  Thanks!!! :)

Huh? What thing? I'm confused ... have I not noticed it or have I noticed it all along? MF - muddled-foughts ;)

As to the review thing, as Steff says, its in the submission guidelines and as even the forum demonstrates it is a large part of the ethos of the site. It is a very supportive and positive site and I don't think we need to push it. Sometimes it just takes time to garner interest and as others say, get out and review. It might not get you reviews in return, but it helps to make someone else's day and you get to read some terrific works to boot.

My two pennies for what it's worth.

Agreed..I made a small donation (mike did you get it) and will again soon. But yes, this is a great site and I have fun coming here...

Rob

Right, this seems to be the proper place to add this, here in the suggestions thread.

Seems we now have quite a few photoshoppers around here, artists, and the like with fan art-I was wondering if we could set up a fan art challenge?

I wouldn't know the first thing about deciding who goes what, gets what, where's what, ect (makes sense, right? ;) ) but I figure we could set it up similarly to the usual fic challenge.

Anyways, I'd be up for it-I seem to be spending a lot of time in photoshop lately, and less trying to enter a fic challenge. I'd think it'd be kind of cool to have an art and fic challenge-so if we don't get time to write a short fic, we can at least fool around and make some art.

Is it viable/doable? I'll let the powers that be decide, for lowly ol' trekfan ain't sure. :)

If I could, could one of the admins have my character Vick Johansson added to the expanded universes character list?

He's been in two stories so far (I believe that's the minimal) and since I'll be concentrating on some one shots of him (and others from "Star Trek: Lost Souls" continuity) for the time being, having his name on the characters list makes finding his stories much easier.

Much thanks to whoever gets around to it. :)

This is a support request.

MDg

Technically, it's not.  xD  People PM me, or IM me, or I read this thread, and then add.  It doesn't have to actually do with the function of the site in terms of 'working' or 'not'.

Which is to say... added, TF!

Thanks Steff! :)