MDGarcia

Site Updates (Archive, Forums, Blogs, Email, etc)

We are now running SMF 2.0 RC2.

You will notice some interface wonkiness.  There were a massive amount of changes made, so until Steff gets a chance to take a look, please bear with the RC2 look.  This should not cause any functionality breakages, but if you encounter an error, please let me know at support.adastrafanfic.com.

MDg

Temporarily setting the board to default, darlings.  This is going to take... quite awhile.  A lot of the backend of the forum is changed, so airy_midnight, our Ad Astra theme, is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced.  In the meantime, have the default.  And you can change it back to Ad Astra's theme through your profile, if you can live with the mess.

After some battling with the server, SMF has finally been upgraded to version 2.0 Final.  This means we're no longer on Release Candidates, which means we're off the 'beta' version of the product and onto the bug-fixed final version.  This took a rather longer downtime to accomplish, so I apologize for the wait.

Additionally, we are no running version 0.2.5 of the StormChat software.

MDg

As the main archive and the forums were down due to the SOPA strike

SMF has been updated to 2.0.2, which includes some much-needed security patches since 2.0 GA.  I've also included some new mods to stave off some of the bots that have been plaguing us lately.  Hopefully, this will help.

The archive is now running version 3.5.3 of the eFiction software, a way overdue update.  Stability and security patches, mostly.

MDg

Some changes:

- Donation module is now online.  Click on 'Donations' at the top to use it.

- Twitter account has been tied to the RSS feed for the main archive.  @adastrafanfic

- Added identifiers for spiders to the Who's Online list.

- Applied patch to combat spam, so Steff isn't going crazy.

- Configuring new mail server for use later.

- Configuring image gallery for later use by users.

MDg

More upgrades:

The server we're sitting on (washu) was upgraded from Ubuntu 9 to Ubuntu 11.  Myself and a team of volunteer sysadmins worked for 8 hours' straight to upgrade the server and bring it back online.  We upgraded the system kernel as well.

Why did we do this?  This has a direct impact in upgrading and patching our SQL server for Ad Astra.  We were unable to provide the higher package versions to the database server because Ubuntu had since abandoned the version we were running.  Therefore, to stay on a supported OS, we had to take time to upgrade, which we did.

We tested as much functionality as we could, but if you should encounter any errors, please report them to the support site.

MDg

The forums were down with an error after I did some quick maintenance.  Apparently, there was a mod that failed installation earlier (when we were on version 2.0 GA) that reared up and took out the ability to post, read, or see who is online.

We reverted back to a previous state and then I re-updated us to the proper version.  The good news is that we didn't lose any posts whatsoever.

Kes is the one who reported it to support.

MDg

So, I guess the biggest update here is that we've left SMF behind entirely and we're now running on Invision Power Board v3.3.3 -- I will continue to update this thead as we add bugfixes or patches to the software. Documenting this information is a good idea, not just for you, but also gives me a running log of what was applied and when.

Thanks,

MDg