Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLWalker

Ad Astra Awards?

I like what you have so far-did Corkscrewed get overlooked? Oh, crud, OK, I'll post the rest soon. LOL.  I like how you divided it-but what do you have in mind for the shorts? I think there should be a minimum word count-458 word drabbles aren't the same as a short story. 1000+ words?

I like what you have so far-did Corkscrewed get overlooked? Oh, crud, OK, I'll post the rest soon. LOL.  I like how you divided it-but what do you have in mind for the shorts? I think there should be a minimum word count-458 word drabbles aren't the same as a short story. 1000+ words?

Still trying to figure that one out.  LOL!  Like Mrs. P's are all shorts, but part of a broad series.  So, maybe have a series contest, too?

Would that work if the series has incomplete pieces, though?

For instance, I think SigCat could be entered since all of its pieces are complete, but I don't think the main Sigils and Unions series should be eligible.  Or even the meta series as a whole (given that Kiba'avzayn Ta'aboun-cor is incomplete).

For instance, I think SigCat could be entered since all of its pieces are complete, but I don't think the main Sigils and Unions series should be eligible.  Or even the meta series as a whole (given that Kiba'avzayn Ta'aboun-cor is incomplete).

It would probably be best to go with series that have more completed works than not.

It would probably be best to go with series that have more completed works than not.

Or a word count min. But what about Mike's Quarterdeck Breed? Or that monstrosity (Seleya) I wrote? Would those qualify for consideration alongside Mrs. Picard's Picard series or your Wolf series.

Or a word count min. But what about Mike's Quarterdeck Breed? Or that monstrosity (Seleya) I wrote? Would those qualify for consideration alongside Mrs. Picard's Picard series or your Wolf series.

Why not?

And yeah, Mike, it would.

What about an award for:

• Comedy moment
  • Tragedy
  • Descriptive passage
  • Characters or characterisation - OC and canon as many authors here have taken canon characters and added layers upon them.

ETA: guess though that actually would be difficult to compile a list for, never mind judge them. Ignore. But liking what yous have come up with.

Corkscrewed is added to fin, closing out the trilogy, making sure I have no unfinished in my series and giving me a 25,782 what? novelette? Anyway, Once the parameters are hashed out that's what I have it as. Unless you set up a "Mirror Universe" or just basic AU, in which case I'd like to add it to that. I do think you are right, Steff-splitting hairs for categories reduces the impact of the award(s). A few cats and an overall for the first time seems reasonable. We can pat each other on the back to excess in the next one.  :D

Well, too many awards and everyone would have one, kind of defeating the purpose. ;-)

The thing is that on an archive like this it would be only fair. I dunno, Steff. I'm all for nice looking goblets (and why isn't the symbol a champagne bottle? :D) and stuff, but I can't quite picture the selection process. You've made it quality control and you held up to that. I'm looking through the list and I find myself already at a loss for how to choose. So the way I see it now it's only fair if everyone gets an award because so many stories here totally deserve it, but it does defeat the purpose, utterly, yes.

BTW, I like MF's idea for comedy moment, tragedy, description, etc. Maybe you should be thinking of ASC, but of Oscars instead? :D

Really, there's a dilemma.

Well, then the problem crops up of... say you've got a 2000 word drama against a 50,000 word drama.  LOL!  Then what?

And yeah, the fact that pretty much everything on Ad Astra is good does make choices hard.  ::laughs::  Maybe make it User Choice awards instead?

We have a period where people can make nominations (of material not their own, of course) in each category and then vote on it?  There probably needs to be a limit of one nomination per person per category, though.  As for the voting--that part I'm not entirely sure how to set up since we'd be likely to get a LOT of nominations.

Any better ideas are welcome, of course!!

Well, too many awards and everyone would have one, kind of defeating the purpose. ;-)

WHAT!

You mean to say we might not get an award!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Like the poll idea. Would be crazy, but would be cool.

I'm liking the idea so far... but is it just me or are there WAY too many extended universe or AU/MU fics that are being considered? Those of us with normal universe fics deserve a chance! :P

Those are the finished novel-length or novella length stories.  The others would go by category, if at all.

I should check here more often, didn't see this till tonight! :)

Yes, love the ideas of awards. Not much into watching award shows, but I guess I can off my two cents:

Having a poll open for nominations sounds good, and then a vote on the nominations also sounds good. I'm assuming this would have to be conducted here on the forums.

Basically, I think we should make this an even ten type thing. One nomination per award. So, Chronicles could be nominated for best Novel and for Best Expanded Universe (or something of the like) but can only win one, not both. Individual moments in the story are open to competition and the same rules apply.

As for award ideas, your first three sound good.

Some others I would suggest;

Best "Kick Ass Moment"-Catergory can include any battle scene, verbal discussion, hair raising escape, away team throwdown, or something of that ilk. Entries must be completed and are considered only in their entirety at the time of nomination (so no retcons making your scene Kick Ass.)

Funnest One Liner-Catergory includes a one liner, whether internalized thought or spoken or telepathic communication. As the name implies, it must be a sentence, or less-no paragraphs or the like.

Most Trek Worthy "Ramble."-Catergory includes a Jim Kirk, or Jean Luc Picard moment, where a character delves into a ramble that would make either captain blush from shame at how long it is. Paragraph is the minimum length.

Most Dastardly Villain-For those who are villains, we salute you. Individual characters are nominated in this category and must have at least one villain worthy act to make it in. Villain must be present in a work on the archive.

Captain for the Ages-Calling all captains, this category is for you! Captains (or equal ranks in other militaries) are only allowed. The winner is judged on his/her captaincy and can be nominated from any story/stories/series on the archive.

Special Moments-For those moments that just make you cry, laugh, or die (preferably peacefully), this category is for you. Moments that squeeze your heart, make you bust a gut or sob till morning belong here. Nominations can come from any work on the archive.

"Damn it Jim, I'm a Doctor not a____"-Category for all doctors out there, young or old, this is the place to be. Nominations include a moment where your doctor gives someone a lecture, one liner, joke, ramble, or saves a life in a genius procedure.