Welcome to Ad Astra Star Trek Fanfiction Archive (Forums)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDGarcia

OUTAGE (10/4/2009)

8 posts in this topic

We were down for approximately 7 hours, starting at 3:03am local time (PDT).

There was another emergency reboot of the web server.  This is being caused by the heavy use of the SQL server.  I'm looking into moving the SQL data off-server to another location to help keep the load off of washu.

Thanks for your patience.

MDg

Thanks, Mike.  Is it possible to move the SQL and still use Washu like that?

Yeah, but it will most likely require a second server to be brought up and made public for SQL queries.  Honestly?  I kind of figured this would happen sooner or later, as the DB grows and accesses start contending for resources on the web server.  I was looking at our analytics, and we have pretty high visitor loyalty (highest I've ever seen on any website), 6+ pages per access, and since we started tracking this stuff, we've had 308+k pageviews.

We're growing! :)

MDg

Oh that's cool to hear about the having such a high visitor loyalty! How very nice. All down to Steff and yourself creating and fixing an awesome site. Many thanks again.

At least the reason for the outage is a good reason! That's awesome that we're getting the traffic.

I don't understand what any of that means, but it sounds like it's good .... so keep up the great work on this amazing site!

As an update, I made some configuration changes to SQL and this seems to no longer be a problem.  I'm limiting the memory overhead for SQL to prevent it from running away with the server.

MDg